Communications professionals have the potential to influence others, promote change and spread ideas. It's all about the right message. With a Corporate Communications degree from the Elizabethtown College School of Continuing and Professional Studies, you will certainly send the message that you are prepared for a multitude of communication-related careers.
Whether you are looking to start a new career or grow in your present position, the courses you will take and the interaction you will have with other working professionals--your facilitators and your classmates--will give you the experience and edge needed in today's competitive marketplace.
The Corporate Communications program at Elizabethtown emphasizes interpersonal communication skills, such as writing and speaking--the foundation for more advanced communication and business skills that will prepare you for the demands of a rapidly changing global community. Through the required courses coupled with electives that fit your interests, you'll be exposed to a variety of subject areas--theory and practical--from mass media and ethics to marketing and multicultural communication.
* = required
Career Opportunities And Outlook
Many areas of the communications field are in high demand, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics from the Department of Labor. Here are a just a few examples, with data for 2010 to 2020:
- Public relations specialists - employment expected to grow 23 percent, faster than the average of all other occupations. The increase in use of social media and other digital trends is contributing to the rise.
- Advertising, marketing and promotion managers - employment is expected to grow fast as the average for all occupations from, about 13 percent.
- Advertising sales - employment will grow fast as the average, at about 13 percent.
This exciting field presents opportunities in nearly every industry for outstanding communicators to craft messages for a range of mediums and audiences. Types of positions include:
- Community relations specialist
- Interactive communications manager
- Public relations specialist
- Advertising sales representative
- Marketing manager
E.A. Harvey, Lancaster, Pa., Corporate Communications ‘15
DO IT! The program is fantastic. The facilitators are knowledgeable. And, the students--already out in the work world -- teach each other by bringing their experience and expertise to the classroom.