Program Effectiveness: Excellence in Adult Learning
Adult Learning Survey Praises Elizabethtown
Overall, Elizabethtown College's adult learners' levels of satisfaction beat the national average in seven out of eight measures of quality for effectiveness in serving adult learners in higher education programs.
Elizabethtown College administers the Adult Learning Inventory developed by CAEL (Council for Adult and Experiential Learning) and Noel-Levitz to the adult learners in the adult degree programs every year. This survey measures effectiveness in serving adult learners in higher education programs.
In the 2012-13 administration of the survey, adult learners expressed a high degree of satisfaction that their program allows them to pace their studies to fit their life and work schedule. They reported that the staff is available to help them solve problems and that the processes and procedures for enrollment are convenient.
In the area of the Teaching-Learning Process, Elizabethtown adult learners were satisfied with their understanding of what is expected of them in classes, and with their facilitators' challenge to them to reach beyond what they already know to achieve new learning experiences. Students were highly satisfied with their level of interaction with their facilitators and with their ability to incorporate their life and work experiences into class activities and assignments.
Other key areas of high satisfaction for Elizabethtown College adult learners include:
- The ability to receive help in making decisions about courses and programs they are pursuing
- Guidance on course transfer and program completion
- Ability to connect in person and via technology with their academic advisor, the level of program knowledge of their academic advisor and the timely responses received from their academic advisor
- One-stop shopping access to student services like bill paying and purchasing textbooks
- Availability of facilitators who respect student opinions and ideas that differ from their own
- The institution's high use of technology to communicate with students and enhance access to information for students
Overall, Elizabethtown College's adult learners' levels of satisfaction beat the national average in seven out of eight measures of quality for effectiveness in serving adult learners in higher education programs. This survey performance is a mark of excellence for the College's adult degree programs and should be a key indicator to adult learners that by choosing Elizabethtown College, they are assured they will find an educational program that will meet and exceed their expectations.